Designer / Sign Maker
Signs Express York has been established since 1994. Since that time, we have continued to grow along with our reputation and expertise, and now employ a highly specialist team of staff.
We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and quality products. As sign makers we supply vehicle graphics, exterior signs, interior, window graphics, exhibition displays, PVC banners, labels and stickers, health & safety signs in York and the surrounding areas including Malton and Selby.
The role of Designer / Sign Maker involves dealing with clients requirements from initial enquiry through to production and installation of the final product. The role also involves discussing signage requirements with the customer, presenting creative solutions to meet their needs and budget, generating artwork for approval and understanding the process to provide quotations. You will also be responsible for the management of the process from initial enquiry, via telephone, email or face to face, through to order production and completion, liaising with our production department, suppliers and clients. As a primary contact for all existing and potential customers the highest levels of customer service are required at all times.
You will deal with a wide variety of clients and requirements. It is an interesting and varied role with day to day contact with clients and producing concise information to production staff to manufacture quoted jobs. Keeping accurate records and a keen eye for detail are paramount in this role. You must be an excellent all-rounder willing and able to engage in all aspects of the business.
You must be a confident communicator with good numerical skills, be practical, a strong team player, approachable and professional. An understanding of the technologies, products and production processes within the sign & graphics industry would be a distinct advantage, training will be provided.
- Provide creative signage solutions to customers to meet their requirements and budget.
- Provide artwork using Adobe Illustrator for customer approval.
- Provide professional visuals to clients.
- Handle incoming telephone and internet sales enquiries.
- Liaise with the Production Manager to initiate print runs and manufacture of signs.
- Communicating information and orders to colleagues and suppliers.
- Working to source and specify supplies and materials as required.
- Carry out sign and graphic installations.
- Follow up on quotes in a timely and professional manner.
- Provide support and expertise, as required, in production and installation of all aspects of customer signage requirements.
- Any other duties as required by Line Manager / Managing Director.
Skills and Attributes
- Computer literate (essential)
- A strong willingness to learn (essential)
- An understanding of relevant software design packages (including Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop) (essential)
- Experience of working with Microsoft Office (essential)
- Maintain accurate customer records using Clarity software - full training will be provided (desirable)
- An excellent communicator, with a professional, positive and helpful manner, understanding the importance of maintaining the highest level of customer service at all time (essential)
- Excellent organisational and time management skills (essential
- Able to use initiative (essential)
- Good understanding of the signage market and competitors’ products (desirable).
- Experience of working in the signage industry (desirable).
- Flexible and proactive attitude (essential).
- Good attention to detail, able to provide accurate design proofs for clients (essential).
- Able to work to tight deadlines whilst maintaining the highest standards (essential).
- Good materials knowledge; understanding the suitability and options of materials for a variety of applications for standard vinyls, conformable films and digital print media.
- Understanding of technology used to produce signs.
- Knowledge of lettering styles, fonts and design.
- Awareness of health and safety.
- Ability to keep up to date with new skills and techniques
- Computer literate
- Creative flair
- Drawing and design skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Good practical skills
- Good spelling and grammar
- Mathematical skills, for measurements and calculations
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as under own initiative
- Full clean driving licence
Up to £24000 per annum, a company profit based bonus scheme as well as company pension scheme are also available.